4. Deleted last year by Daniel C
  5. Deleted last year by Daniel C
  6. Deleted last year by Daniel C
  7. Deleted last year by Daniel C
  8. Deleted last year by Daniel C
  9. Edited last year by Daniel C

-image-

Got this on export just now.

10. It validates with warnings. I will give you more of an update later. Have to go now.

11. Success! This is on the online Kindle Previewer which is supposed to be the definitive look at what will display in e-print. Now the second time I exported to epub3 I didn't get that warning on Pubcoder's validation for the declaration etc...
    What is that about? I'll let you know if it comes up again. Oxygen Author doesn't seem to mind it, though I didnt read al those warnings it had. Mostly they are about extra fonts and other stuff that doesn't matter to validation.
    -image-

12. I used several types of punctuation through out my text. All comes out correct.

13. Angelo S

9 Mar 2023 Administrator

I added an additional utf-8 character encoding meta tag. The thing is that KF8 is produced by generating an EPUB3 fixed layout file that is then transformed into a KF8.
    Actually that warning comes from the EPUB3 validator, which is complaining about the double charset declaration:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
    <meta charset="utf-8"/>

The thing is that:

1. If we remove the first meta tag, things break up in Kindle Previewer for Mac
    2. If we remove the second meta tag, things break up in the online Kindle Previewer (actually this is how we always exported KF8, didn't know about online Kindle Previewer issue)
    3. If we keep it both, EPUB3 validator complains

May guess is that this is actually an issue by the online Kindle Previewer.

- Do you see the content correctly on a physical device? If yes, do you see it correctly also with the production pubcoder release or only on the beta?
    Can you try to publish the file to Amazon Store just to be sure that their validator doesn't complain too?

If it doesn't, the solution may be to simply muting the EPUB3 validator complain. Let me know how the publishing tests go.

14. -image-

15. This is how it looks on my Kindle Cloud Reader and it looks the same on my Kindle Fire. Perfect. I ran it through the book creator and put it on the store for .99 cents. Thought I could make it free but it said pick a price between .99 and up so I did that. If I had put it in the Select program I could have had a free book for five days but no matter. I'm thrilled this worked! Now I dont have to be nervous about text anymore! I can also edit in the program which always introduced errors no matter how careful I was. I had to edit outside the app. Thanks so much Angelo! I always extol the virtues of Pubcoder everywhere I talk about epub. It has made my book creation nearly effortless compared to the old work flows. I'm a customer for life.

16. Edited last year by Daniel C

I can send you the html folder download from the online previewer if you like via dropbox. Otherwise here is a link to the test book on Kindle. You can always preview it on the store web page with the quick sample read.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXZ93DCB

17. Not sure how to interpret this but I exported from the previous version and now I'm having no problems. This doesn't make sense. Nothing has changed in my process of creation and export but now it's behaving. I have had this problem for several ebooks prior to this.

18. Edited last year by Daniel C

I edited the text in Pages on my Mac for this project. Just to be sure I copied to text edit and made it plain text and then put it in the PC project and exported. This time I purposely made multiple returns right after the first paragraph and then in between the 'a' in the first sentence on the second. Every time before if an extra carriage return or an extra space between characters is there, perhaps from sloppy copying or typing, I got an 'A' with a carrot over it. Always. I showed a doctor in Australia how to make books with Pubcoder and he was trying to space stuff out like an index or a table with returns and spaces. He sent me the file to check and there were 'A's everywhere. This time there is obvious spacing with no odd characters. I am at a loss.
    -image-

19. Edited last year by Daniel C

I was taught epub does not allow multiple returns. I think perhaps Pubcoder is becoming self-aware. It is evolving. (:^l

20. btw I added the $%#& characters myself just to test

21. The only explanation I can come up with for the sudden success on the old ver. is; when I opened the beta ver. first, there were no previous files list. I ran it through and closed the app. The second time I opened it, all the other previous files were now there to access. It had connected with the earlier non-working app somehow and after that the older ver. started to produce correct text and no encoding trouble. Maybe there was some kind of corruption in the old app that the new ver. fixed. Very weird. Some things in epub are just unexplainable.

or Sign Up to reply!