Does KF8 work for Windows?

1. 8 years ago

Hello,

Is Pub Coder for Windows able to convert InDesign CC files to fixed format KF8 files?

If so, when I ran the Pub Coder, the Creating Project element froze when saving the project.

The output file did appear in the Pub Coder program, however, PDF files, InDesign Tables, and other various InDesign formatting did not work correctly.

One other consideration is that the document I am converting is 202 pages and 88.3 meg.; do I need to break this large file into smaller files?

Many Thanks,
    Paul

2. Paolo A

31 Aug 2015 Administrator

Paul,

yes PubCoder imports assets from InDesign files. Please note that PubCoder is not a converting software, but an authoring tool. We have implemented a feature that allows you to import your assets from an InDesign file: this tool tries to be as accurate as possible (all information on layout comes from InDesign) but in some cases you might need to adjust images and text yourself.

If the software freezed I kindly ask you to send the INDD file at the following address support@pubcoder.com, we will be happy to look into it.

3. Thank you Paolo for your prompt and informative reply.

One other question, does PubCoder support hyper links? If so, will such hyper links in my InDesign document import into PubCoder, or will I need to re-create them in PubCoder?

Many thanks,
    Paul

4. Paolo A

31 Aug 2015 Administrator

PubCoder supports hyperlinks - never tried from INDD, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, let me know how it goes!

Paolo

5. When publishing (to KF8) a screen appears stating that need to load the kindlegen file. Although I select the required kindlegen.exe file, I get the error message reading "Selected file does not appear to be kindlegen". Is this due to using the Windows beta platform?

Also, can you let me know if there are instructions on how to add hyperlinks?

Many Thanks,
    Paul

6. Angelo S

4 Sep 2015 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Angelo S

Thanks for the report, will be fixed in the next release. In the meanwhile, you can select kindlegen also from Edit > Preferences > KF8 > Select Kindlegen: it should work from here.

As for adding links, you can use "Go to Page" or "Open URL" actions . To add an hyperlink inside a text box, double-click it to open the text editor then use the button with the "chain" icon.

Regards,
    Angelo

7. Angelo,
    I have an flattened image with a "button". Is there a way to use a Smart Object around the button area and setup a hyperlink that works in Kindle?

I keep getting the message "Actions are not supported in KF8".

Thanks!

or Sign Up to reply!