Global Counter?

1. 5 years ago
    Edited 5 years ago by Jack T

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a global counter or a global variable? I would like the actions I do on page 1 to affect my possible actions in page 2 or 3.

Thanks

Edit: Found that the counters in the overlay also does not keep their value over pages.

2. Angelo S

28 Jun 2018 Administrator

At the moment, you have to use Javascript for those kind of things.

3. Sorry but I tried with all different ways to define a global variable and seems impossible. could you give a specific example in pubcoder?

4. Angelo S

16 Jan 2019 Administrator

To share data among different pages you should use LocalStorage, be sure to check support in the reader app you will be using.

5. Thank you a lot @Angelo S for your reply. I have already used localstorage and I have the following problem. Eg. I define in project javascript a global counter variable:
    localStorage.counter=1;
    Now if I want to change its (global) value by eg. clicking a button on a page it seems impossible. I use run Javascript there eg. on tap of a button, event is run javascript and I try to trigger the apearence of a text.
    localStorage.counter=localStorage.counter+1;
    if (localStorage.counter==2){$("#obj111").show()}
    This seems not to work because for the program localStorage.counter is still 1. (so if in the if I set 1 instead of 2 the object does show)

Could you explain how I can fix this? I have tried also with page javascript and it seems it is the same.
    I could sum up the problem as follows. if localStorage variable is written on project javascript then every page "sees" it but if I try to adapt its value locally on a page it is impossible.

Thank you in advance

6. Ok I managed to do it. but it is very difficult to understand that a variable in local storage defined in the project will not be updated. Maybe a tutorial on how to use html/javascript in pubcoder would be very helpful.

7. Angelo S

9 Feb 2019 Administrator

You're not using localstorage the right way. Please check this documentation for further help:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/localStorage

As for documentation for using javascript in PubCoder, here's the right reference:
    https://docs.pubcoder.com/new/pubcoder_code.html

Of course this includes only things specific to PubCoder, it's not intended as a comprehensive JavaScript/HTML/CSS guide...

or Sign Up to reply!