Load videos only with wifi connection, not with 3G/4G

1. 7 years ago

My question is: can I selectively download/show videos when the user's device is on Wifi?

Background: I have some large videos in my e-book, which make the e-book 'heavy'. So I want to download them only when they are necessary, they are not an essential part of the book. I would like to alert the user if the video will be downloaded via a cellular network, which might bring high costs. The book will be published as an iOS and Android app.

iOS has a 'reachability ' api, to detect if the iOS device is on wifi or cellular. As far as I can see, this is not accessible from PubCoder, nor from javascript. An alternative might be measuring connection speed, yet that wouldn't help, because there is slow wifi and fast 4G and vice versa. It's not the connection speed that counts, but its costs.

Do you see any other way to solve this? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Angelo S

2 Mar 2017 Administrator

Hello Bram,
    that's a feature which is not available at the moment, but it's really interesting and we will investigate further on some way to solve these kind of issues in future releases.

At the moment, you can use an alert to warn the user that some large file will be downloaded and that this MAY result in additional fees if using cellular data, basing on the user's data contract.

or Sign Up to reply!