Youtube video embedding?

1. 6 years ago

Hi team,
    Not sure if this question has been answered. I need to embedd a you tube clip into an epub3 file to keep the download size down for the ebook. Is there a widget or a javascript snippet that facillitates this?
    Cheers,
    Andy

2. It's available in the new Beta release today. Pubcoder 3 Mac. I got it in my email today, excited.

3. Thanks Carlton for the info. Thats going to make a big difference in my workflow
    Cheers,
    Andy

4. Angelo S

18 Jul 2017 Administrator

You can embed YouTube and Vimeo videos without writing any code in PubCoder 3 . Sadly EPUB3 standard prohibits remote resources and thus the EPUB validation will warn you about that. This may not be an issue if you are going to distribute the file on your own, but for example you will not be able to make it work on some readers, e.g. iBooks. It will work in Adobe Digital Editions or Azardi instead. It really depends on the reader.
    If you want to be sure that it will work, export a native app or an XPUB for PubReader or Shelf

5. Hi Angelo,
    So is it possible to embed a video from youtube into an epub3 document I am exporting from pubcoder that will play in iBooks?

This is a vital piece of the puzzle in my ebook project as I intend to email out an epub3 file with instructional video embedded from my youtube account .

The only reason I ask is that there is a workflow with i books author that will let me produce an ebook in epub3 format with an embedded youtube video. However I really prefer the flexibility of pubcoder. This could be a major issue for me moving forward.

Kind regards,
    Andy

6. Angelo S

22 Sep 2017 Administrator
    Edited 6 years ago by Angelo S

Hello Andy,
    you can actually embed a youtube video in an epub3 document, but iBooks blocks remote contents in EPUBs so you have to use another reader which doesn't, for example Adobe Digital Editions. Or you may export an XPUB that can be read in PubReader.

or Sign Up to reply!