Start/Stop Read Aloud

1. 8 years ago

I'm using a button to start and stop Read Aloud. It works on the pubcoder preview, but not on the device. Android KitKat 4.4
    The action is alone under the event 'Touch Down'.
    Can you help upon this?

2. Giancarlo N

23 Aug 2015 Administrator

Hello Humberto,
    actually it should, so please contact the support team, showing which PubCoder version are you using. Providing a test-case project could be requested.
    Giancarlo

3. My read aloud button does not work in preview. In order to preview read aloud I must click the read aloud icon in the upper left corner. How do we customize the button? Thank you.

4. Giancarlo N

28 Aug 2015 Administrator

Button does not fire readaloud as it should. It is confirmed as a bug. Technical team is working to make it work in the next release.
    If you replace button with an image and put start/stop readaloud action onTouchUp event everything should work properly.

5. I've been suggested to use a Gesture Area to workaround, but the same way I was not able to make it work on device (Android 4.4 KitKat).

6. Angelo S

4 Sep 2015 Administrator

Hi Humberto, we should have fixed it in the latest Windows beta and in the 2.0 development branch. If you are working on Windows, let me know, otherwise please be patient and use an image object to start/stop read aloud as a replacement.

7. Mine is working correctly in preview with the new update. Using Windows 10 Home. But does not work in AZARDI or Adobe Digital Editions 4.0

8. Angelo S

4 Sep 2015 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Angelo S

The marker that enables an object to control start/stop read aloud is not part of the EPUB3 standard, but is iBooks-specific. By the way, it actually works on some readers (e.g. Readium) but not on everyone.
    Our native apps also use non-standard code to implement that function.

9. Downloaded Chrome App Readium. Best epub3 reader yet. However when I start the read aloud it puts the book into auto page turn. Also the Project Settings Audio file did not work at all. Very strange. I could not find a function that would turn this off the auto page turn. If I did not turn on auto read the other functions worked perfectly. I guess epub3 has a ways to go.

10. Angelo S

7 Sep 2015 Administrator

@Carlton M Downloaded Chrome App Readium. Best epub3 reader yet. However when I start the read aloud it puts the book into auto page turn. Also the Project Settings Audio file did not work at all. Very strange. I could not find a function that would turn this off the auto page turn. If I did not turn on auto read the other functions worked perfectly. I guess epub3 has a ways to go.

I guess you're searching for this option:
    -image-

As for the soundtrack, playback must be enabled manually:
    -image-

11. Wow, you're the best Angelo, Thanks so much.

12. Hi,

The Read Aloud feature doesn't work when I preview my page. I inserted an audio image and created it as a Touch Down button to Start/Stop Read Aloud. For some reason, when I preview the page, the Read Aloud feature is faded (un-clickable). Any idea where I might have gone wrong?

Chiao Kee

13. Giancarlo N

26 Jan 2016 Administrator

Please try to edit the text object associated with readaloud and check if the text is splitted into "blue" bricks. If not please set up readaloud again.

14. Hi,
    It is splitted into blue bricks.
    Please advise.

15. Giancarlo N

27 Jan 2016 Administrator

You need to enable it at Page level. Go to the Page panel on the right, look for Read Aloud submenu and check "Enable Read Aloud". PubCoder automatically select the latest smil file created and an audio file.
    After that you can preview the Read Aloud as expected.

16. Hi Giancarlo,

I have a similar issues with Humberto. I created an audio image with "Touch Down" interactivity to Start/Stop Read Aloud. The Read Aloud works in the PubCoder preview. However, when I preview with wi-fi on my Android smart phone, the Touch Down image doesn't work and the read aloud cannot be activated.

Please advise. Thanks.

17. Giancarlo N

1 Feb 2016 Administrator

Hello,
    it is quite strange please try to create a new android workspace based on epub3 workspace so that we are sure they share the same options and object properties.
    If still unsolved, share your project in pvt.
    Thanks.
    Giancarlo.

18. Angelo S

1 Feb 2016 Administrator

@Chiao Kee L The Read Aloud feature doesn't work when I preview my page. I inserted an audio image and created it as a Touch Down button to Start/Stop Read Aloud. For some reason, when I preview the page, the Read Aloud feature is faded (un-clickable). Any idea where I might have gone wrong?

Hello,
    please make sure the "Enable Read Aloud" option is enabled in the Page Inspector, otherwise please enable it manually and try again.

-image-

or Sign Up to reply!